Icebreakers: Rachel and Michael Parsons’ Senior Debut, Vincent Zhou’s Record-Tying Goal and More
As each week brings us closer to the 2017-18 season, athletes are hard at work preparing for what they hope will be their best seasons yet. From raising the bar with quads to moving on up to the senior circuit, skaters are speaking out about their preparations and training. Read about Rachel Parsons, Michael Parsons, Lorraine McNamara and Quinn Carpenter’s training, the next story in Vincent Zhou’s Icenetwork series and more below.
1. ‘Friendly Rivalry’ Has Pushed Two Ice Dance Teams into Skating’s Senior Circuit (The Washington Post) – As two successful teams—Rachel Parsons and Michael Parsons, and Lorraine McNamara and Quinn Carpenter—move to the senior ranks, take a look at their training environment.
2. Creating the Program: Zhou Sets Ambitious Goal (Icenetwork) – Vincent Zhou is gearing up for the Olympic season with a record-tying six quads.
3. Meryl Davis Opens Up About the Proposal, Her Custom-Made Engagement Ring and Sharing Her Personal Life with the World (Team USA) – The Olympic champion gets personal and shares how Fedor Andreev proposed and more.
4. U.S. Champions Haven Denney and Brandon Frazier: “We Want to Show Everyone That We Still Have a Lot to Give” (Figure Skaters Online) – After a disappointing end to the season, Denney and Frazier look ahead.
5. 2017 Golden Skate Interview with Vincent Zhou (Golden Skate) – Vincent Zhou discusses putting together a complete program and training.
6. Reality Surpassing Story for Stellato and Bartholomay (Two for the Ice) – Denna Stellato-Dudek and Nate Bartholomay discuss their first season together.
7. After the Podium, Off the Ice: Olympic Silver Medalist Sasha Cohen Opens Up (Sports Illustrated) – Years after hanging up her competitive skates, Sasha Cohen pens her own essay about adjusting to the real world.
8. Celebrate Maia Shibutani’s 23rd Birthday with 23 of her Different Skating Costumes (Team USA) – Look back at 23 of Maia Shibutani’s gorgeous costumes.