Icebreakers: Aerial Challenge Lineup Named, Timothy Goebel Ties the Knot and More
There’s always a lot happening in the figure skating world. This summer, we see skaters returning to the ice for a competitive comeback after injury, teams persevering through disappointment, and local athletes stepping up for charity. On top of it all, we hear wedding bells for Olympic bronze medalist Timothy Goebel. Read the latest Icebreakers, including the Aerial Challenge lineup, below.
1. Brown, Nagasu Headline Lineup at Aerial Challenge (Icenetwork) – See who’s competing at the MK Aerial Figure Skating Challenge later this month.
2. Goebel Ties the Knot in Breathtaking Ceremony (Icenetwork) – Olympic bronze medalist Timothy Goebel married Thomas Luciano in April. Read all about the ceremony.
3. Josh Farris: “My Goal Right Now is to Train and Just Enjoy It” (Figure Skaters Online) – Ahead of next season, Josh Farris talks about what he’s learned and overcome during his return to the ice.
4. Marissa Castelli & Mervin Tran: “We’re Skating For Us” (Figure Skaters Online) – Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran discuss overcoming obstacles, preparing for next season and more.
5. The Beauty of Yvonne Dowlen, a 90-Year-Old Figure Skater (Purpose 2 Play) – Yvonne Dowlen spent her whole life doing what she loved – figure skating. Take a deeper look into her story.
6. BrownBody Uses Rink as Stage for Black History, Culture (MPR News) – Read about Deneane Richburg’s mission to integrate black culture and give everyone an opportunity on the ice.
7. Listen: Figure Skater Lily Ngo Talks with John Walk for ‘Inspirational Athletes’ Podcast (Lancaster Online) – Now a collegiate figure skater after touring with Disney On Ice, Lily Ngo chats about her figure skating journey on the ‘Inspirational Athletes’ podcast.
8. Figure Skating – Breakdown of Quadruple Jumps, Highest Scores and Judging (Reuters) – Want to take the off season to get more familiar with the sport? Reuters breaks it down for you.
9. “I Skate For a Cure:” Monroe-Woodbury Sophomore Raises $15,000 for Cancer Education and Research (The Photo News) – Read about one skater’s experience hosting a Sk8 to Elimin8 Cancer event in New Jersey.